Cabbage, Carrot Coleslaw
Another great addition to my crisp duck tacos (coming to the blog next week) or any taco dinner is Cabbage and Carrot Slaw. It is filled with nutrients and a collection of spices that help bring out traditional Mexican flavors. Plus, its vibrant colors will make your table picture perfect. I used a combination of purple, green and brown cabbage that will leave your guests wanting more from this rich colorful blend. Once I finely chop the cabbage and carrots, I add in a few ingredients you would never expect. Brown sugar being the most unique! It helps tone down the spices and round out the flavors of the slaw. I also add cilantro, jalapeño, garlic, lime juice, extra-virgin olive oil and few more seasonings, such as cumin. The result is a crunchy, fresh and delicious taco condiment. Sometimes, I’ll even serve the slaw as a side salad. Once on the table, don’t forget to snap a few photos before your guest dig in!
Ingredients: purple cabbage, green cabbage, carrot, garlic, jalapeño, cilantro, lime, brown sugar, Aleppo chili pepper (spice), hot sauce, salt and olive oil.
Cut purple cabbage in half and shred one half very thinly. I like to use long, thin and very sharp knife, works best for this technique.
Cut green cabbage in half and shred one half very thinly as well.
Add shredded cabbage to a serving bowl.
Peel and cut carrot into three parts, then cut each part into planks. Julienne planks finely. Try to make carrot sticks as thin as possible, since those will be consumed raw. Add carrots to the bowl.
Chop cilantro finely. Add to the bowl.
Add minced garlic.
Add brown sugar.
Cut jalapeño pepper in half lengthwise, using a sharp knife and deseed it.
Cut jalapeño into strips then dice them finely.
Add jalapeño to the rest of ingredients.
Season with salt and Aleppo chili.
Squeeze lime to add juice.
Drizzle olive oil and add 5-10 dashes of hot sauce.
Add a pinch of cumin spice, season with salt.
Mix all the ingredients.
Serve this coleslaw as a condiment for your tacos or a salad on its own.
Cabbage, carrot coleslaw
recipe detailsServes 4-6
IngredientsFor the coleslaw
- ½ small purple cabbage
- ½ small young green cabbage
- 1-2 carrots, peeled
- 1 jalapeño pepper, deseeded
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lime, squeezed
- 3-5 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Aleppo chili spice
- 5-10 dashes hot sauce
- pinch of cumin spice (optional)
- extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- For the cabbage: Cut purple and green cabbage in half and shred each half very thinly. I like to use a long, thin and very sharp knife, works best for this technique. Transfer to a serving bowl.
- For the carrots: Peel and cut carrot into three equal parts, then cut each part into thin planks. Julienne planks finely. Try to make carrot sticks as thin as possible, since those will be consumed raw. Add carrots to the bowl.
- For the jalapeño: Cut jalapeño pepper in half lengthwise, using a sharp knife and deseed it. Cut pepper into strips then dice them finely. Add to the bowl.
- Add garlic, cilantro. Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt, Aleppo chili, cumin, add sugar. Squeeze lime and add hot sauce to taste. Mix to combine. Serve this coleslaw as a condiment to your favorite tacos or as a salad on its own. Let it sit for 20 minutes before serving- spices, sugar, oil and lime juice will soften vegetables slightly.