Coquilles Saint-Jacques, which simply means “scallops” in French, are among some of the most prevalent and popular items on the Parisian menus. This easy hors d’oeuvre/appetizer was inspired by our brasserie experience there. Sweet, lightly citrus marinated scallops with paper-thin slices of radish on top, turned out to be a huge success with the guests at the French Dinner at our house. As long as you have perfectly fresh ingredients, the combinations are endless– tangerine segments and basil, passion fruit juice and pulp, or the jalapenos slices for some extra heat. Serve the scallops within the half hour of preparation and let the flavors shine! Next time you decide on throwing an upscale multi-course dinner, this easy starter takes less than 15 minutes to assemble but is so satisfying and delicious. For a truly luxurious presentation replace the sea flakes with grainy Osetra caviar!
Black caviar is a culinary delicacy and should be used as a garnish to enhance the favors of the dish. Briny little gems of this Ossetra caviar are mildly salty and work wonderfully with thinly sliced scallops.
When buying scallops, look for a pale beige to cream pink firm flesh scallops. They should have a fresh smell with a nice moist shine to them.
Citrus-Marinated Scallops with Radish & Black Caviar
recipe detailsServes 4-6
- 8 very fresh sea scallops, super fresh white, firm-fleshed
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 lemons, juiced
- Sea salt and grounded white pepper
- 2 small radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons black Ossetra caviar (optional)
- Cut the scallops into slices, 1/8 inch thick. Spread them in a single layer on a serving platter and season very lightly with sea salt, and grounded white pepper. Whisk together the olive oil and the lemon juice, and pour evenly over the scallops. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Thinly slice the radishes on the mandoline or with a sharp knife. To serves, layer the slices of radish over the scallops, sprinkle with parsley on top. Spoon a tiny little bit of black caviar on top of scallop slices, serve right away.