For the shrimp
- 12 oz. rock shrimp, bay shrimp or small salad shrimp, cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon lightly salted butter, softened (European style)
- 4 slices Danish thin-cut rye or multigrain bread, cut into 8 triangles
- 8 small leaves butter lettuce or romaine lettuce
- 2 small gherkins, finely chopped
- ½ medium sized shallot, finely minced
For the dressing
- 2 ½ ounces mayonnaise
- 1 ½ ounces crème fraîche or sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill, plus 8 tiny sprigs for garnish
- Sea salt and freshly ground black or white pepper, to taste
- 8 very thin slices lemon, halved and then quartered
- 4 grape or cherry tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- Fresh dill, for garnish
- Steam the shrimp in a well salted water with a bay leave for 1-2 minutes. Drain and cool the shrimp. Cut into small bite size pieces.
- Meanwhile, spread a thin layer of butter on the bread. Add a lettuce leaf to each.
- In a bowl, combine the shrimp, gherkins and shallots. Add the mayonnaise and crème fraîche and toss to combine. Stir in dill, salt and pepper. Mound about 1 tablespoon of shrimp on each sandwich; add a slice of lemon, a split tomato and tiny sprig of dill to each and serve.