- 2 cups strong brewed coffee
- 5 tablespoon Kahlua liquor
- 6 large egg yolks
- 7 tablespoons sugar
- 16 oz. mascarpone cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, chilled
- 7 oz. biscotti Savoiardi, lady fingers
- Cocoa powder
- Dark chocolate shavings
- Brew the coffee, pour it into a shallow bowl wide enough to fit a lady finger, add 1 tablespoon of Kahlua and allow to cool completely.
Make mascarpone mixture:Whisk egg yolks, sugar and 1 tablespoon of Kahlua in a glass bowl (medium speed) set over the bain-marie, a pot of barely simmering water, for 8 minutes until tripled in volume and the egg mixture is smooth and has a pale yellow color. Remove bowl from heat. Then mix in additional 3 tablespoons of Kahlua and the mascarpone, about ½ cup at a time.
Try not to over whip the mixture, otherwise it will separate.
Working one at a time, dip each lady figure on both sides into the coffee mixture.
kitchen tip:make sure not to soak the cookies completely, they have to remain firm, otherwise they will fall apart. Arrange them in a single layer on the bottom of the trifle bowl, trimming edges to fit if necessary. Spread 1 inch of the mascarpone mixture on top and sprinkle with cocoa powder. Soak the next layer of lady fingers in coffee and arrange them on top. Repeat 2 more times, finishing with the remaining mascarpone mixture. Cover with the plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight, tiramisu will last up to 2 days in the refrigerator. When ready to serve, sift some cocoa powder on top and garnish with chocolate shavings.
- Beat whip cream: In a separate bowl, whip the cream until it forms soft peaks. With a rubber spatula, add ½ cup of whipped cream into the mascarpone mixture and carefully, in a figure eight motion, fold it in. Then fold in the rest of the whipped cream gently but thoroughly.