It’s all about meticulously chosen, impeccably fresh ingredients prepared simply to let their delightful natural flavors shine through. Thinly shaved rainbow of green and yellow summer squash, courgettes or pattypans and zucchini blossoms are artfully arranged into a beautiful starter. Try to get freshly made mild flavored Ricotta cheese, it will work wonderfully in this salad. Scatter the cheese on top of the salad and drizzle everything with the fragrant thyme oil, season with coarse sea salt and slightly crushed pink peppercorn. This Ricotta will absorb the fragrance of thyme oil and the coarse salt brings it all together. Cherry tomatoes add crunchiness, sweetness and focal color points to this wonderful summer salad.
Ingredients: thyme sprigs, extra-virgin olive oil, lemon, baby zucchinis , baby pattypan squashes, cherry small tomatoes, zucchini blossoms, basil leaves, red-pepper flakes, pink peppercorns, coarse salt, black pepper, fresh ricotta.
Shaved-Squash Salad with Tomatoes, Zucchini Blossoms, Ricotta, and Thyme Oil
recipe detailsServes 2
- 1 generous handful fresh thyme sprigs (about 3/4 ounces)
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest, plus 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 baby zucchinis (3 ounces total), thinly shaved on a mandoline
- 4 baby pattypan squashes (a mixture of yellow and green; 3 ounces total), thinly shaved on a mandoline
- 4 ounces mixed teardrop or cherry small tomatoes, cut in half crosswise (1 cup)
- 6 zucchini blossoms, halved or quartered if large
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, torn if large, plus more for sprinkling (optional)
- Pinch of red-pepper flakes or crushed pink peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- Coarsely ground pepper
- 3 ounces fresh ricotta (1/3 cup)